Privacy and Security Statement
At LegalHub.com, we are committed to protecting your privacy. It is also our mission to constantly improve our services to you and to keep up with rapidly changing technologies. In order to maximize our services to you, we use information collected about you while still protecting your privacy. These policies are subject to change. If there are any modifications to these policies, we will post them on this page and notify you as described at the end of this policy.
I. Security Measures Concerning Your Personal Information
While transmission of information over the Internet cannot be guaranteed 100% secure, we make every effort to provide protection for the information that we collect about you. We, on our fully functional site, will use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology in the transmission of logon identification and passwords. SSL technology provides advanced encryption tools that convert the information you input into code before it is sent to us. The encryption helps protect you and the information in your account.
In addition to SSL technology:
- Your personal information is password-protected.
- Advanced firewall technologies protect our database from outsiders.
- Your password and password reminder answers are kept encrypted at all times, so they cannot be decoded even if someone gains access to our database.
However, to avoid unauthorized use of your account by others, you must take steps to control your password. Further, this site contains various links to other Web sites. LegalHub.com is not responsible for the privacy practices of those sites. You should not assume that other sites take similar steps in securing your information and should evaluate their privacy standards before using their systems.
II. Collection of Information
When you register with LegalHub.com, we ask that you provide your name, e-mail address, phone number, city, state and zip code. If you are an attorney or legal professional services provider, you will also be asked to provide your firm name, address, telephone number, state where you are licensed, and bar number. In the course of your use of the site, we may also request additional information from you. For example, if you are an attorney or other professional services provider, you will be asked to describe your areas of practice, experience, and education. You will be asked to complete a public profile with personal and professional information about yourself, which is public. If you are searching for an attorney, you will be asked to describe your situation so that attorneys can evaluate your legal needs and make a response to work for you.
When using our site, we automatically track certain information including your IP address, what browser you are using, and the URL you just came from. We also collect information about your use of our site in order to optimize our site usability.
We use cookie technology to assist users in navigating through our site more efficiently. Third party affiliates may also set cookies on the site for the purpose of tracking leads. A cookie is a small text file that resides on your hard drive. At various points on our site, our system will request the cookie from your browser so that we can retrieve the stored information. The cookie may be linked to a unique number that our system can read to determine your user ID and preferences. This prevents you from repeatedly making the same selections. Knowing how you use the site enables us to better tailor content and services to your needs. The cookie does not contain information that others could use to personally identify you, and other Web sites cannot access the information we store on your computer. Most cookies are “session cookies,” meaning that they are automatically deleted at the end of a session. You must set your browser to accept cookies to be able to use our site at this time.
III. Use of Collected Information
The primary reason that LegalHub.com collects information from its users is to enhance and improve the way legal professionals and consumers interact. We match the attorneys and legal professional service providers with individuals and businesses that need them.
We use your information to improve our marketing, advertising and promotional efforts, statistically analyze site usage, and improve our site’s content, offering, and layout. Your IP address may be used to help diagnose problems with our server, to administer our Web site, and for security needs. LegalHub.com may provide aggregate statistics about our customers, sales, traffic patterns, and related site information to third-party vendors, but these statistics will include no personal identifying information.
We may use the information we collect to notify you about the status of your LegalHub.com account, important functionality changes to our Web site, new LegalHub.com services, and special offers we think you’ll find valuable. We may also contact you to verify your information or ask you about your experiences with our system.
Except for communications that relate directly to the service being provided, you may “opt out” of receiving communications from us. If you are seeking an attorney, required communications include (1) confirmation of your registration. If you are an attorney, required communications may include (1) confirmation of your registration, (2) notification that your registration has been verified (3) requests to determine which LegalHub.com users have retained you. (4) notification that a new prospect completes a free case evaluation in your practice area and geographic location. To opt out of non-required communications, check the appropriate boxes when you register or at any time by logging into the system and modifying your account settings information. Logging into your dashboard and clicking on the “My Profile” link can modify your Account settings information. Users may also opt out of receiving non-required communications by replying to unsubscribe in the subject line in the e-mail or by e-mailing us at unsubscribe at legalhub.com
When it is necessary to contact you, we use your e-mail address and, in some situations your mailing address, phone or fax number. Note: LegalHub.com will not ask you for your password if we contact you. Do not disclose your password if asked by a caller claiming to represent LegalHub.com.
In order to achieve the benefits of the LegalHub.com service, there are some situations in which personal information may be disclosed to third parties. These are:
- Service related disclosure: This Web site is designed to disclose certain limited information to connect attorneys with the people who need them. Our service is designed specifically to share information about legal related topics, display attorney and other legal professional profiles, provide a public platform where attorneys can answer questions and provide a platform that enables attorneys to review limited information related to a free case evaluation. The limited information we disclose is described below.
- When a user posts a description of his or her legal matter using the free case evaluation, only attorneys, LegalHub.com members or potential members and LegalHub.com staff review that information.
- The name of the user posting a rating and review for any attorney on this system may be released to that attorney, at the attorney’s request, for the purpose of replying to the rating.
- Partnership Related Disclosure: If you are on a site that is “Partner Site powered by LegalHub.com” or whose address is www.partner.LegalHub.com, this means that LegalHub.com has a partnership with the Partner Site and that LegalHub.com may share some of your registration information with that partner. For people and small business LegalHub.com will share only your name, e-mail address and zip code. For attorneys, LegalHub.com may also share your firm name, address, telephone number, state of licensure, bar number and areas of practice.
LegalHub.com may also develop business partnerships with other companies, as part of our service to users. These special business partnerships may include acquisitions by or mergers with other companies or special joint ventures that integrate our Web sites and services.
Whenever LegalHub.com shares personally identifying information with a partner, we will do so confidentiality and require use restrictions on the information.
Legal Related Disclosure
LegalHub.com may release account information when we believe, in good faith, that such release is reasonably necessary to:
- comply with the law
- enforce or apply the terms of any of our user agreements, or
- protect the rights, property or safety of LegalHub.com, our users, or others.
IV. Consent and Changes to This Policy